NATIONAL CERTIFICATE: N1 NATED ENGINEERING STUDIES (RIGGER) (SAQA ID 67109)
Riggers play an important role in our society. Riggers enjoy good salaries and benefits that theor jobs comes with. An experienced rigger can get an avarage salary of R527 500 according to Payscale.
Rigging mainly deals with lifting of heavy objects using ropes, pulleys, and other tools. Riggers are in demand in construction sites where they work in tight spaces lifting heavy machinery-in such places machinery cannot work.
The following are the common duties that are done by fitter and turners:
- Riggers use cranes to lift bulky items in places such as dockyards, ports.
- Riggers are experienced with the use a system of pulleys and chain motors to maneuver items.
- Riggers prepare materials for moving before moving any heavy machinery or materials.
- They’re responsible for proper set of tools which include pulleys, beams, bolts, clamps, etc. to ensure that materials are handled with safety and moving goes smoothly.
- Riggers are responsible for the proper moving and handling of the materials or machinery
Grade 9 or 10 (with Mathematics, Science and Drawing) or relevant experience or an equivalent qualification
NQF Level Status
SAQA ID 67109– NQF LEVEL 1
- Mathematics N1
- Engineering Science N1
- Engineering Drawing N1
- Rigging Theory N1
Assessment and Duration
National Exams are conducted by Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) and also monitored by Umalusi. The course takes from 3-6 months or 1-2 trimesters. You can write all the subjects at once or split them. There are three trimesters in a year:
- Trimester 1: January to April
- Trimester 2: May to August
- Trimester 3 September to December
Student must complete 2 internal assessments to contribute towards your term mark (ICASS mark) and must achieve 40% and above to qualify for final exam sitting
Achievement and Award
The following certificate is awarded by Umalusi upon successful completion of each level:
- Certificate of Achievement N1: Engineering Studies