NATIONAL CERTIFICATE: N2 NATED ENGINEERING STUDIES (CHEMICAL ENGINEERING) (SAQA ID 67375)
Chemical Engineering-Chemical Technician
Chemical engineers play an important role in our society. According to National Scarce Skills List, chemical engineers are listed among the top 10 skills shortage in South Africa.
The following are the common duties that are done by chemical technicians:
- Working in manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, healthcare industry
- Working in industries that involve design and construction, pulp and paper, petrochemicals, food processing, specialty chemicals, microelectronics, electronic and advanced materials, polymers, business services, biotechnology,
- Environmental health and safety industries, among others.
- It involves maintaining laboratory instruments in good condition
- Management of customer base inventories and project submission retained application samples.
- Assisting in the administration of materials and laboratory organization.
- Maintainance of a safe, clean and organized lab environment in accordance with EH&S policies.
N1 Engineering Studies or 11 (with Mathematics, Science and Drawing) or an equivalent qualification
NQF Level Status
SAQA ID 67375– NQF LEVEL 2
- Mathematics N2
- Engineering Science N2
- Plant Operation Theory N2
- Water & Waste Water Treatment Practice N2
Assessment and Duration
National Exams are conducted by Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) and also monitored by Umalusi. The course takes from 3-6 months or 1-2 trimesters. You can write all the subjects at once or split them. There are three trimesters in a year:
- Trimester 1: January to April
- Trimester 2: May to August
- Trimester 3 September to December
Student must complete 2 internal assessments to contribute towards your term mark (ICASS mark) and must achieve 40% and above to qualify for final exam sitting
Achievement and Award
The following certificate is awarded by Umalusi upon successful completion of each level:
- Certificate of Achievement N2: Engineering Studies