Site icon Ekurhuleni Technical College

Requirements to get your matric (National Senior Certificate) if you are no longer at school

Requirements to get your matric (National Senior Certificate) if you are no longer at school. 

Getting Matric Certificate, or what is officially called National Senior Certificate can be done in many different ways. This depends on the reasons that made you not get Matric in the first place in which we will look at some of them.

Ways to get your National Senior Certificate

The obvious way to get Matric is to be in a Secondary School or High School or College and do Grade 12 and pass your exams. Then you will get your Matric with different endorsements depending on the quality of your passes, either a bachelors, diploma or degree pass.

That’s the ideal way of getting it first time. However there are number of things that occur along the way that make people fail to get their matric certificate. Such issues include disturbances when one is about to write exams such as unplanned pregnancies, tragedy like loss of a loved one, lack of focus, you name them that result in one dropping out of school.

However there is always a second chance for people who dropped out of school. 

Another reason of not getting matric is actually writing the exams and failing some of the subjects hence resulting in one not getting their certificate.

Read more: N1-N3 engineering studies Phasing Out

Getting your matric after dropping out of schoolng

You can get your Matric by registering with ABET ADULT CENTERS or with registered colleges. The matric you will get will be a National Senior Certificate and can be used to further your studies.

Let us start by looking at getting your Matric certificate by doing Technical Matric N3

Technical Matric N3 National Senior Certificate

Technical Matric N3 is the current most popular ways in which people are choosing to complete their Matric certificate. Below is a sample certificate for Technical Matric

N3 Sample certificate

Technical Matric N3 Sample Certificate

Register for Technical Matric

Read more: Electrical and Mechanical Engineering N1-N3 Qualification Requirements

Conditions to get Technical Matric N3 Certificate

To get Technical Matric which is also a Senior Certificate with NQF Level 4 which is equivalent to NSC, you need to meet the following requirements

  1. You need to do six subjects of which two of those are languages.
  2. It is compulsory to do both Business English and Sake Afrikaans as first and second language

These are the only requirements and the certificate can be obtained in less than 8 months depending on your commitment. There are different subjects you can study but the common ones are the following:

A brief discussion on these subjects will be given in the next post so that you might get a brief understanding on what they are all about. There are many of the subjects however these are the common ones. You only need 6 of these in which English and Afrikaans are a must to have plus any four. Then the Department of Education can issue you with a National Senior Certificate.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask, or leave a comment below and will do our best to clarify the comments you might have.

Read more: Mechanical Engineering N2 Requirements

Conditions to get your NCS now called Amended CAPS Certificate.

To get your matric when you did not get a chance to write it requires one to meet certain conditions.

  1. You need to be 21 years old and above.
  2. You need to have completed grade 10 or 11 with proof of a report. If you lost your report you can go to your previous school and ask them to re-write you another one as records are always kept or you askfor a letter that states that you completed your grade 10 or 11.
  3. If you happened to be studying General Education and Training with ABET ADULT Centers, you need to have completed level 4 and passed the level. The level 4 is equivalent to Grade 11 and you can use that qualification to enroll for grad 12.
  4. You need two copies of the above requirements. 
  5. You also need to certified copies of Identity Document. 
  6. You also need to pay the registration fee applicable at that time which currently is between R250-R500

You might also like


N1-N6 Previous Papers with Answers

Download FREE N1-N6 exam papers. Free download are limited to a single paper. Get all the latest papers for a discounted price. Check the links below:





Register for Engineering courses from N1-N6. Course are offered through distance learning. Get more information by clicking on the link below:



Mathematics N1-N3

Online learning is now the norm. Register for you mathematics N1 to N3 online classes. Click on the link below for more information:


Submit your review

Create your own review
Out of school matric
Average rating:  
 0 reviews
Exit mobile version